Sunday, October 20, 2013

Peach Pie

 
 
 
 
Last month I went with some friends to pick peaches.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.  At our last family get-together, my sister-in-law made this delicious Fresh Peach Pie.  She told me the recipe was passed down from her sister's husband's family (did I lose anyone?) and that it was a family SECRET recipe! NOOO!!!!  This pie was so good.  I knew that no matter what, I was going to find a way to duplicate it. 
I had kind of, somewhat, watched her make it and knew that the crust was made with egg whites, like a meringue, and crushed saltine crackers.  Next I contacted my best friend, her name is Google and she knows everything.  After looking through some recipe forums, and a few other recipes people had posted I was ready to try my hand at duplicating this unforgettable Pie!  I think I came pretty close, if not spot on! 
 
First you beat 3 egg whites until soft peaks form.
 This is a great thing for little helpers, like my cutie here, to help with.
 Next combine 1 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons baking powder into a small bowl and fold into the egg whites.
Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
 Crush 12 soda crackers
 again, another great project for little helpers.

Add crumbs and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla to the egg white mixture and very carefully fold them in.
 Pour into a greased and floured pie pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. 
The Center will puff up and then fall back down (like a German Pancake).  Cool Completely.
 Thinly slice fresh peaches and fill pie crust very generously.
 
My sister-in-law then topped her pie with a fresh homemade whipped cream.
She only used fresh peaches not canned or frozen.  If you try canned or frozen will you let me know how it turns out?  Thanks
 
PEACH PIE
3 eggs whites
1 cup sugar
12 soda crackers, finely crushed
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
 
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Combine sugar and baking powder into a small bowl and then carefully fold into egg mixture.  Continue beating until stiff peaks form.  Fold in very carefully cracker crumbs and vanilla.  Pour into  a greased and floured pie pan.  Bake 325 degrees for 35 minutes.  The center will puff up while baking but should fall back down while cooling.  Cool completely.  Thinly slice peaches and fill pie crust very generously.  Topped with sweetened whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment