Wednesday, March 12, 2014

White Chicken Chili- Step-by-Step

This is my favorite chili recipe.  I've posted it twice before, but after a neighbor make this chili,  she reported that it turned out nothing like mine, I decided it was time to do a step-by step post.
Here's the recipe:

WHITE CHILI

1/2 small onion, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1 small can diced green chili's
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
2 cans white beans (navy or great northern are good choices)
1-2 cups shredded chicken

Saute onion in olive oil. Add green chili's and saute 2-3 minutes more. Add broth, seasonings, beans, and chicken. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.

Step-by-Step
 In a medium saucepan, place 8 chicken tenderloins, or 4 breasts
 cover with water (since my chicken doesn't have bones, I added 2 chicken bouillon cubes for more flavor.  This is optional.)
 Boil on the stove until chicken is white and thoroughly cooked
 While chicken is cooking, drain and rinse your beans
 
and dice your onion
When chicken is done, remove from water and allow to cool.  SAVE THE WATER YOU COOKED YOUR CHICKEN.  We will use it for the broth. 
 Add olive oil to a large stock pot.
 Once the oil is hot, add the onions
 Once the onions become transluscent, add one can of diced green chilis.  Saute' 2-3 minutes more.
 Now measure 2-1/2 cups of the reserved chicken broth
 salt
 garlic powder
 cumin
 and dried oregano.  Let simmer
 While broth and seasonings are simmering together, shred your chicken.  (I use my hands)
Now that your chicken is ready, add the beans
 and the chicken into the broth.  Simmer on low 15-20 minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
NOTES:  Last Halloween I took this to a party.  Instead of bringing the sour cream and cheese separately, I mixed them into the chili before I left.  It was a big it!

No comments:

Post a Comment