Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pistachio Cake

I saw a recipe for a yummy pistachio cake on Pinterest.  I pinned it thinking this would be a great cake to make and take one day to family dinner.  The perfect opportunity arrived last Monday when I was asked by my mama to bring a dessert to our family dinner.  My dad is lactose intolerant and so finding a dessert he can eat is sometimes difficult.  This cake was perfect, no milk, no butter, no frosting!  I went to my Pinterest board, found the picture of this cake and clicked on it so I could get the recipe.  Just my luck, the following message appeared: Sorry, we've blocked this link because it may lead to spam, nudity or other inappropriate stuff.  What?!  A cake recipe?  Now what was I to do?  Lucky for me (again) there was enough information in the pin description I could attempt to make it.  Luckily (sorry), the cake turned out perfectly.  It was moist and had a really yummy flavor.  Lucky for you (ok, I'll stop), I'm sharing the recipe with you SPAM, NUDITY, and INAPPROPRIATE FREE!
ps- I think the green of this cake made me think 'St. Patrick's Day' which is the cause of all the Lucky remarks.  LUCKY YOU!
Pistachio Cake

1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 oz) package instant pistachio pudding mix
7 drops of green food coloring (optional)
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups water
1/4 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Beat until well combined.  Pour into a greased and sugared cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Remove from oven, let rest 10 minutes before inverting on serving plate.  Cool completely.  Dust with powdered sugar.

STEP-BY-STEP
 Pour yellow cake mix into a large bowl.
 Add small box of instant pistachio pudding
 7 drops of green food coloring.  This is optional but it does give the cake a nice green color.
 Add 4 eggs
 1-1/2 cups water
 1/4 cup oil (I used canola)
 and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
 Beat until well incorporated.
 I used shortening and a paper towel to grease by bundt cake pan.
 Make sure it nice and evenly covered with shortening
 then sprinkle plain ol' regular sugar
 until your pan is evenly coated and the sugar is stuck to all the shortening.
 Now you're ready to pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Use a spatula to make sure the batter is distributed evenly.
  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let the cake rest for 10 minutes.
Invert the cake onto a cake plate.  Cool completely before dusting the cake with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment