Sunday, December 8, 2013

Chewy Gingerbread Cookies


Years ago my friend, Lindsey, made these cookies for me. They were the best Ginger Cookies I have ever had!  They are soft and chewy, with just the right amount of ginger.  I knew I had to have the recipe.  She graciously shared it with me, and these cookies have been on my Christmas baking list ever since. 
CHEWY GINGER COOKIES
 In a mixing bowl pour in 2/3 cup of oil (I just canola but vegetable would work too).
 Add one cup of sugar and beat until well incorporated.
 Now mix in one egg.
 Stir in a 1/4 cup molassess
 2 cups flour
 2 teaspoons of baking soda
 and the spices:  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves.
 Take one and 1/4 tablespoons of dough and roll into a nice ball.  Roll each ball in sugar (this is about 1/3 cup of sugar in a small bowl).  Sometimes I will half the balls to make smaller (and more) cookies.
 Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.  (I use a glass cup to do this.)
 Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the top of the cookies crack.  Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
 Again (I know I say this every time, but its important), if you want these to be soft and chewy DO NOT OVERBAKE!  If you like a hard crisp gingersnap-like cookie, you can bake them longer.
 
CHEWY GINGERBREAD COOKIES

2/3 cup vegetable oil
 1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
 1/3 cup white sugar

In a large bowl mix oil and 1 cup of sugar. Add egg, beat well. Stir in molasses, 2 cups flour, baking soda and spices. If necessary, add more flour to make a firm dough.Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll in 1/3 cup sugar, flatten slightly. Place 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven, 10 to 12 minutes or until tops crack. Remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.    


   

No comments:

Post a Comment