Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sausage Potato and Kale Soup

This is my take on the infamous Zuppa Toscana Soup.    I think you'll really like it.
 I've cleaned it up to make it healthy, and I've changed some ingredients to fit the tastes of my family.
 Just a note:  If you have bones left-over from a turkey breast or chicken you had for dinner last night- SAVE THEM and make your own broth.  Bone broth is so beneficial and good for you.
Sausage Potato and Kale Soup

1 lb. Sausage (Italian or smoked- I usually use Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage from Costco)
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
1 large onion, diced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped (your favorite kind- I use button)
2 large russet potatoes, chopped in thin pieces.
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups kale (or spinach if you're not a kale fan), chopped
3 cups (24 oz.) chicken broth
6 cups water
salt and pepper, to taste
1-1/2 cups milk (I use coconut milk, but regular would work too)

Slice sausage into small pieces.  Brown sausage in large soup pot. Add broth and water to pot and stir.  Place carrots, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, and garlic to pot.  Simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Turn heat to low.  Add kale and milk.  Stir together. Simmer another 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment