Sunday, September 28, 2014

Cake Mix Cookies

When I'm short on time or short on ingredients, I love using a boxed cake mix to make cookies.  You can recreate almost any cookie this way.  Just choose the correct base, yellow or white cake mix for most, chocolate if you want a chocolate cookie (duh), spice for a cookie, red velvet for well a red velvet cookie, etc.  Prepare the mix according to the recipe I'm about to share below, mix in any add-in's and you have a quick way to make cookies.  Give it a try.  With all the choices of cake mixes and add-in's the possibilities are endless.

Basic Cake Mix Cookies

1 box cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1 egg

Mix all ingredients together.  Stir in any add-in (chocolate chips, spices, zest, raisins, oatmeal, chopped candy bars, etc).  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Note:  You can also roll balls of dough in powdered sugar for a crinkle cookie or in cinnamon and sugar for a snickerdoodle.  If you want to make a pumpkin cookie, omit the butter and the egg.  

Let me demonstrate what I mean by showing you how I recreated the Caramel Red Velvet Cookies using a cake mix.
 First, dump the cake mix into a large bowl.
 Add the butter (if it's still hot I would suggest mixing it into the cake mix just a bit so it doesn't scramble the egg)
 Now add the egg
 and stir until everything is totally combined.  Now you've got your cookie base all done.  You can stop here and bake them plain or. . .
you can stir in any mix-in's you'd like.
Since I'm recreating the Caramel Red Velvet cookie I'm adding in mini chocolate chips and cut-up Rolo candies.
Just like the Caramel Red Velvet cookies, I rolled them into a ball and then into powdered sugar.
(Unlike the original recipe, you do not need to flatten these.)
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Not too bad.  In all honesty, I almost prefer the cake mix cookie's taste and texture to the original cookie.



No comments:

Post a Comment