Tuesday, January 20, 2009

FREEZER MEAL TIPS

THIS IS HOW I DO MY FREEZER MEALS:
With 6 kids, 2 of them still babies, I don't have a whole day to spend in the kitchen making freezer meals. Instead I choose 5 or 6 meals that are really quick and easy to assemble. I spend one afternoon a month, during nap time, assembling these, putting them in baggies, and then into my freezer. The rest of the month I double whatever I'm making for dinner, serve half of it and freeze the other half. If you're just starting, it will take about a month to create your "stock-pile". As long as you keep freezing meals every month, you'll always be able to have a freezer full of meals.

There are just a few things that do NOT freeze well:
COOKED RICE, unless instant- it turns mushy
CREAMS, such as sour cream- it thaws runny like water
POTATOES, unless instant or the kind you buy already frozen- they turn out mushy as well.

Every few months I also get together with a group of my girlfriends for a Freezer Meal Exchange. Each of us makes 1 or 2 freezer meals for each member in the group (so if they were 5 in the group, I'd make 5 batches of crock-pot chili. One for each person). These are totally ready to go into the freezer. Then we get together for a girls night out, and exchange our meals. I like doing this because I get something different from the same hum-drum meals I make. :)

Tips:
*Use Freezer baggies whenever possible, they can be layed flat in your freezer, taking up a lot less room.
*If you're going to use a dish or a foil pan make sure you cover your food with Heavy-Duty Freezer Foil.
*Air and Food are enemies. Try to get out as much air as possible, before freezing. Lay your foil flat on top of your food if you're using this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment